Saturday, 3 October 2009

Summerstown Athletic FA Sunday Cup 1964/65

'South London Press' Friday 29th January 1965

Cup-tie date for Champions Summerstown

Summerstown Athletic stake their claim for a place in the third round of the FA Sunday Amateur Cup at Erith & Belvedere's ground on Sunday (kick off 11.30am) when they meet Sussex. This is the first time that the trophy has been played for and sixteen counties from Cumberland to Sussex entered the competition.
London, with an eye to the future, hope that in time this will become a club competition and held a knock-out tournament earlier in the season with Summerstown earning the right to represent the City.
London have one change in their side from the one that beat Surrey in the first round 2-1 with Tony kenchington coming in at outside-right and Maurice Griffiths moving to inside-left in place of the suspended Pat Long. Ives, McGuinness, Philpott, Kent, Shears, Hawkins, Kenchington (T), Mills, Kenchington (P), Griffiths, Hickey.

(In earlier editions I could find no mention of either the Surrey match, nor the qualifying tournament.)

'South London Press' Friday 5th February 1965

Summerstown Athletic 3, Sussex County FA 1

Summerstown, representing the London FA in the quarter-finals of the FA Amateur Sunday Cup, took the lead following a free-kick in the 12th minute. Peter Kenchington took the ball towards a wall of defenders and then neatly lobbed it over their heads and into the Sussex net.
Sussex came close with a shot that smashed against a post and shortly afterwards George Ives had to go full length.
But Summerstown were getting on top now and Griffiths notched their second before the interval.
Harding scored the third from the penalty spot in the second half after Keith Mills, with only the goalkeeper to beat, had been brought down from behind. The Sussex goal came from Bill Ford.

'South London Press' Friday 19th March 1965

Hertfordshire 0, Summerstown 3

(no headline)

Summerstown, representing the london FA, in a bid to capture Sunday football's top prize, the FA Amateur Sunday Cup, were right back on top of their form.
After only seven minutes Keith Mills cottoned on to a long through ball by Peter Kenchington to score the first goal.
Paddy Long would have added another but for a handling offence, but no harm was done for Harding crashed home the spot kick rightly awarded.
Athletic had to put up with some heavy pressure after the interval, but co-operative defensive work kept their goal intact, and then Kenchington smashed home a third from 15 yards to put the issue beyond doubt.

'South London Press' Friday 9th April 1965

Summerstown force a draw at Walsall

Staffordshire FA 1, Summerstown Athletic 1

Goalkeeper Ives saved the day for Summerstown, representing the London FA in this Amateur Sundat Cup final, when he tipped over Glover's penalty a few minutes before the end-a penalty which, it seemed, must clinch the trophy for Staffordshire.
Staffordshire had taken the lead in the first half when Harper beat Ives with a curling drive from twenty yards following a pin-point centre.
Athletic's chances receded still further after the interval when defender Tony McGuinness became a wing passenger through injury.
But a brilliant move by Dave Hawkins gave robust Peter Kenchington his chance to crack an unstoppable equaliser.

(The correspondant clearly did not realise that this was a two-legged final)

'South London Press' Friday 14th May 1965

Four goals come in extra-time

Summerstown Athletic 5, Staffordshire FA 1

Summerstown, representing the London FA, saved their goal talents until extra-time in the second leg of the FA Amateur Sunday Cup Final at Hounslow on Sunday. (The first leg ended in a 1-1 draw)
When the whistle went at the end of ninety minutes the two teams were on level terms at 1-1.
Long scored the first of four extra time goals when he sliced the ball over the goalkeeper's head after collecting a pass from Keith Mills.
Seconds later the Mills-Long duet found the net again. Peter Kenchington, who had a shaky game, sent Summerstown into a 4-1 lead when he latched onto another Mills pass.
It was tit-for-tat shortly afterwards when Mills flicked the fifth after receiving a pass from Kenchington.
Pat Long scored the first goal in the fifth minute, but Staffordshire soon drew level when Glover cottoned on to a Ron Philpott pass-back meant for goalkeeper George Ives.


  1. Thank you ......very interesting read.
    Our club is from the same area as Summerstown.
    We are also in the FA Sunday Cup.
    Please come will be a better experience than the one you had with Baldon Sports in the Sunday Cup.
    Hazelhurst v Sungate
    2.00 kick off @ Carshalton FC
    Admission £3 with programme
    for further details email

  2. Takes place ......This sunday 28/2/10.
    Check the FA website for details at or local press.